Disney Provides a Closure Timeline for Disney Infinity
Following the (frankly quite depressing) news of Disney Infinity’s cancellation, Disney have now provided a timeline of service closures that will be affecting the game. We knew that the online servers for the game would be taken down, but it turns out the reality is even worse, with some versions of the game being outright unavailable to purchase and play. It’s worth noting that all figurines and playsets will continue to function in the console versions of the game even after the servers go down. The timeline is available below.
As of today (July 29, 2016):
- No in-game purchases can be made within the PC, Steam version of Disney Infinity 2.0, iOS, Google Android, Amazon Android and Apple TV versions of the game as this feature has now been removed
- Players can continue to make in-game purchases within the Steam version of Disney Infinity 3.0.
As of September 30, 2016:
- Players will no longer be able to log in to play the PC, iOS, Google Android and Amazon Android versions of Disney Infinity. These will no longer be available on the respective app stores
- The Steam versions of Disney Infinity 2.0 & 3.0 will remain operational with the exception of all online services and community features as these will be discontinued
- Apple TV versions of Disney Infinity will be removed from the App Store
- The Disney Infinity Community team will no longer be reviewing or approving any new Toy Boxes that are submitted to Disney for all console, mobile and PC versions of the game. However, when playing on any console, Apple TV or Windows 8/10 versions of the game, players can continue to download their favorite Toy Boxes from the Community Content section until March 3, 2017
As of January 3, 2017
- No in-game purchases can be made within the Windows 8/10 versions of the game as this feature will be removed
As of March 3, 2017
- Apple TV and Windows 8/10 versions will no longer be available, supported or playable
- All Disney Infinity online services and community features for all versions will be discontinued
The tl;dr of it all is that all versions of the game except for those on console and Steam will not be playable any longer. The versions of the game that are still playable will have all online features disabled. So if you want those multiplayer trophies you’d better get those done before March next year.
The site also links to a set of Closing FAQs available here that will answer common questions. With a heavy heart, we’ll add this closure dates into our calendar to serve as a reminder. On behalf of all Infinity fans we’d like to thank everyone who made these games what they are today, and we hope they move on to bigger and better things.
Thanks Roger for the tip